Questions? Click Here.
Merger Next Steps
Dear Friends of Crossroads,
The merger pursuit between the College of Biblical Studies in Houston, Texas, and Crossroads Bible College is progressing as expected, and we wanted to share with you more about the next phases of this merger and what to expect.
1. Why merge with CBS-Houston?
The reason we chose to merge with CBS-Houston is because of the many benefits to our students and our community, such as:
- CBS-Houston is a college that honors Crossroads’ heritage and mission.
- The CBS-Houston mission and commitment to biblical education is identical to ours.
- As part of CBS-Houston, Crossroads will become regionally accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. This regional accreditation is similar to the accreditation found at Notre Dame, University of Indiana, Purdue University, and many more. Degrees will now be nationally and regionally accredited!
- Crossroads will still hold our national accreditation through the Association of Biblical Higher Education.
- CBS-Houston’s degree programs include organizational leadership, biblical counseling, women’s ministry, and Christian leadership.
- Several of their degree programs are offered entirely in the Spanish language.
- Several degree programs are offered completely online.
- Additional staff and faculty will be available to support our students in their educational and ministry pursuits.
- CBS-Houston is committed to our students. And, they have committed to making this transition as seamless as possible.
2. What are the steps necessary to complete the merger?
The merger pursuit is complex and includes a lengthy approval process from SACSCOC and ABHE. We must be diligent to ensure each phase is accomplished with excellence. Below is a timeline that outlines the different phases to be carried out before the merger is complete.
- September – December: Prepare SACSCOC compliance certification document
- November: ABHE Commission on Accreditation approves/denies Substantive Change Prospectus
- December: SACSCOC Board accepts/denies Substantive Change Prospectus
- January 10, 2019: SACSCOC compliance certification submission
- February 11-14, 2019: SACSCOC site visit-Houston
- June 2019: SACSCOC Commission approves/denies merger
- July 1, 2019: Merger effective date – College of Biblical Studies with Crossroads
- July-December 2019: ABHE site visit-Indianapolis
3. Will the Indianapolis campus close?
Crossroads-Indianapolis currently owns more property than it needs to fulfill its mission. Therefore, the Crossroads leadership and board are working on various approaches to address debt reduction and reduction of operational overhead, including sale of the building/property.
A purchase agreement for the Indianapolis campus is in place, and expected closing date is early 2019. Plans are being developed to identify a new location. In the meantime, we will continue to keep the Indianapolis campus open through June 30, 2019. Selling the current property allows Crossroads to move to a more modern facility with lower operating costs.
4. Where will the new building be located?
The location has not been determined. However, CBS-Houston and Crossroads are working to find an optimal location for students and staff based on surveys and focus groups recently implemented.
5. How can I stay updated on the progress of the merger?
Our main channels of communication will be email, the Crossroads website, and CBS-Houston’s website. If you would like to send us your email address to receive future emails, please do so at Questions@Crossroads.edu.
Look for our next update soon.
This is a historic time for Crossroads and CBS-Houston. God is moving in a mighty way and we praise Him for His faithfulness!
Because of Christ,
Dr. Bill Blocker
College of Biblical Studies-Houston
Dr. Charles Ware
Crossroads Bible College
Founder/CEO Grace Relations Network